Creating a happy and healthy life…
How are you doing? Hope things are beautiful and smooth at your end. I really miss you. You are the most intelligent, smart, caring and loving person I have ever known. You always make everyone feel good about themselves and boost their strength to combat life crisis. I can’t forget the day when you reached out to a lady, crying in bus because her brother got diagnosed with cancer. You not only comforted her but also made her look at life with hope and positive attitude. Do you remember her coming along with her brother , to our house, to thank you after he recovered from cancer?
There are so many things I want to share and discuss with you. I can’t take the pressure of my situation and want to come to you. I’ve lost my job and my boyfriend dumped me for another girl. I don’t have any motivation to live, I am getting weaker due to life crisis and can breakdown at any moment. Need you to give me support and courage. I want you to guide me, fix my life. Please come mom, I need you, please guide me how to start my life again, how to laugh, how to reach out, how to forgive and how to restart.
This letter, Kamini wrote to her Mom, who died 2 years ago. It was found in her bag, after her suicide attempt. She was lucky to be alive and is getting treated in Mental health retreat centre, but many don’t receive this opportunity . Kamini was suffering from depression since a year, had very poor social support system. And after her boyfriend left her she was lonely and was in need of help.
She didn’t know where to seek support and whom to trust. She didn’t want to visit any professional institute because that would have made others aware about her issues and she didn’t believe in counselling centres . Also, she was aware that her symptoms are early signs of depression through self assessment scale and if not addressed, this can lead to chronic depression episode. She had isolated herself and was trying to find a solution and break through without any professional or social support.
Like Kamini most of us refrain from going through psychological scanning or therapy for mental well-being. We don’t understand that as physically perfect person can fall sick and need medical assistance at times, similarly a mentally sound and healthy person can develop psychological concerns and should consult mental health professional. And early the intervention, the better is the prognosis.
I have so many clients who come for marital, professional or adjustment issues and when I bring to their notice, their psychological problems, they seem to be completely ignorant about it. Till date many well educated people don’t approach psychologists for anxiety, depression, addiction, academic or behavioural problems. They wait for problems to go out of control and lead to some major emotional or behavioural outburst.
Research has proven that today most of the physical diseases are psycho-somatic. Which means that they are the outcome of our unhealthy beliefs, thoughts, and emotional problems. Loneliness , unemployment and stress makes the situation worst.
Mental problems can’t be seen, unlike physical issues and wounds but it can be more destructive and life threatening. It doesn’t spread like an epidemic but one impulsive act of mentally disturbed person can destroy many people life’s both emotionally and socially. Every day we get to read about people committing suicide, family conflicts, divorce, killing of family members over small tiffs, shoot outs, dying due to overdose of drug or alcohol.
It’s detrimental and fearsome, as we are loosing so many lives to it, so many students are dropping out and are sitting idle at home as they don’t know right mode of treatment.
Let’s get educated about psychological problems and blow the whistle if you see someone going through such problems. Avoid naming and labelling people who seek support. Let’s make this society mentally sound and healthy.
How to cultivate healthy mind and body;
- Start your day with positive affirmations about life and self,
• ‘I am mentally, physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually fit and fine’.
• ‘I am safe and secure’.
• ‘Everyone around me are divine souls’.
• ‘I will give my best today in everything that I do’.
- Cultivate Positive attitude- We can either live on stress relief medicines and mental health booster or change our perspective towards life issues. Smile often, go for a walk, give positive feedbacks to others, listen to music, start responding to life.
- Connect to nature- Explore nature and its beauty, go for trekking, swimming, climb trees, watch birds, feed animals, take mud bath…
- List your achievements/rewards/positive events/deeds– This is not to make you narcissistic, but to make you realise your worth and purpose in life.
- Socialise with Family, friends and relatives– whether we like or dislike they are at times our best support system. We just need to reach out and express your vulnerability to them and enjoy togetherness.
- Seek professional support- when facing disturbing thoughts , emotions , behavioural issues consult Psychologists or Psychiatric and adhere to the treatment for complete resolution.
- Become a Volunteer– Reaching out to underprivileged communities, group, individuals can also be therapeutic. Volunteer for an Ngo’s, support a cause, make a difference to someone less fortunate.
We run an NGO- Holistic Training and Development Centre (www.htdc.co.in). It works in the area of mental health and social well-being. Our mission is to educate individuals and society in identifying early signs of thoughts, psychological and behavioural problems and take appropriate steps as early as possible. We also conduct Yoga and Meditation ,life skills workshops for underprivileged community, schools and colleges. Feel free to invite us in your school, college, office and society to conduct awareness and educational program on Mental health issues. Support us in this mission of creating a healthy and happy society through Psycho-socio-spiritual modality. Become a volunteer, donate your time…